Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DB
Guru
DB

Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Empty
PostSubject: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:02 am

NEW YORK -- Michael Vick was conditionally reinstated to the NFL by commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday, and the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback could play in regular-season games as early as October.
Vick can immediately participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games -- if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams already have said they would not.

Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis VIC311467 Michael Vick, QB

Career Statistics
Seasons: 6
Yards: 11,505
Pass TD/Rush TD: 71/21
Interceptions: 52

"Needless to say, your margin for error is extremely limited," Goodell said in a letter to Vick. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you and to dedicate yourself to rebuilding your life and your career. If you do this, the NFL will support you."
Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007 after the quarterback admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation. Goodell said then that Vick must show remorse and signs that he has changed before he would consider reinstating him.
Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19).
"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said through his agent, Joel Segal. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given.
"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.
"Again, I want to thank the commissioner for the chance to return to the game I love and the opportunity to become an example of positive change."
The announcement came after a busy first week of freedom for Vick, who met with union leaders and Goodell on consecutive days last week. Vick's 23-month federal sentence ended when an electronic monitor was removed from his ankle early on July 20 at his home in Hampton, Va.
Vick met with DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, last Tuesday, and he sat down with Goodell on Wednesday at a security firm in Allendale, N.J.
But Vick's issues are far from over. Already, the owners of the New York Giants and New York Jets said they have no interest in the 29-year-old quarterback, who once was the league's highest-paid player.
Vick needs to find a team so he can get himself out of financial ruin. He filed for bankruptcy protection last July, listing assets of about $16 million and debts of more than $20 million, and he has a hearing about his plan to repay his creditors Friday in Norfolk, Va. That plan is built around his ability to make NFL-type money again.
Vick unlikely will command anything close to the 10-year, $130 million contract he once had with the Falcons or receive endorsement deals because of the grisly details of his involvement in the dogfighting ring.
Vick finally pleaded guilty after his three co-defendants already had done so. They told of how Vick participated in the killing of dogs that didn't perform well in test fights by shooting, hanging, drowning or slamming them to the ground.
Vick's appearances at federal court in Richmond, Va., all came with large groups of protestors outside. Many were with PETA and held signs depicting photographs of pit bulls ravaged in dogfights and decrying the brutality in the gruesome details that emerged in the case. A smaller group came to show support for Vick wearing jerseys with his No. 7.
Vick already has taken some steps to begin rebuilding his image and showing remorse. He met with the president of the Humane Society of the United States while serving the first 18 months of his federal sentence in the prison in Leavenworth, Kan. He plans to work with HSUS in a program designed to steer inner-city youth away from dogfighting. He wasn't permitted to work with the program while in custody.
"It's been a long process," Segal said. "He's thrilled for the opportunity to resume his playing career. He understands he has a lot to prove."
Back to top Go down
Hank Moody
Guru
Hank Moody

PostSubject: Re: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 2:01 am

Nice, good luck to him Smile
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 3:47 am

welcome back mr vick Smile

good to see the dungy is looking after him too, hes a great guy and has something special about his man management skills and his communication
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 12:25 am

Welcome back Vick.

It will be good to see him back in action. He had already served his time in prison so deserves to be back. I hope a team takes a gamble on him so he plays.
Back to top Go down
redunderthebed
Professional
redunderthebed

PostSubject: Re: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 11:01 am

We'll have him at the jets even though what he did was despicable everyone deserves a second chance.
Back to top Go down
Megadeecee
Guru
Megadeecee

PostSubject: Re: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 1:57 pm

welcome back mr vick he is one lucky man but in saying that anyone who goes to prison in america has paid there dues an evil evil place ..... (probably the same here but i don't know )
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 pm

redunderthebed wrote:
We'll have him at the jets even though what he did was despicable everyone deserves a second chance.

how about the jets having a bit of a brawl at training the other day Razz...

vick would work well at the jets i think... it gives sanchez a bit more time to develop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis   Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Commissioner Goodell reinstates ex-Falcons QB Vick on conditional basis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: US Sports-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com