Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

College Football Thread

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

College Football Thread - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Must say, after watching the replay of the National Championship Game, I have no doubt in my mind that had McCoy not got injured, then Texas win the Championship. I think at least three TD's from Bama' came from Gilbert turnovers which in the end cost them.

I must say, Gilbert did show some good signs, but still, the injury to McCoy for me was the difference maker.

On a side note, Ingram is a freak show!
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Good article by Mark Schlabach on ESPN, taking a look at the Top 25 going into 2010.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4804655

His top five is in order, Alabama, Ohio State, Boise State, Oregon and rounding it out, Texas.
Back to top Go down
a_F_c
Legend
a_F_c

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:11 am

Sparky_Hughes wrote:
Must say, after watching the replay of the National Championship Game, I have no doubt in my mind that had McCoy not got injured, then Texas win the Championship. I think at least three TD's from Bama' came from Gilbert turnovers which in the end cost them.

I must say, Gilbert did show some good signs, but still, the injury to McCoy for me was the difference maker.

That and the weird play about 10 seconds before halftime that was turned over and handed Bama a 24-6 lead. Killed Texas right there imo.

Turned into a great game in the end and I enjoyed it. Going to try and understand the whole BCS system and pick a team in time for next year Smile. The atmosphere at that place was insane! Whilst the quality of football isnt the best, the insane fans make up for it imo haha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/jimmy131289
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 5:43 am

a_F_c wrote:
Sparky_Hughes wrote:

That and the weird play about 10 seconds before halftime that was turned over and handed Bama a 24-6 lead. Killed Texas right there imo.

Turned into a great game in the end and I enjoyed it. Going to try and understand the whole BCS system and pick a team in time for next year Smile. The atmosphere at that place was insane! Whilst the quality of football isnt the best, the insane fans make up for it imo haha.

Yeah that was another killer. I think at least three TD's were because of Gilbert TO's.

The 4th Quarter was good though, I just wish Gilbert didn't fumble again right behind his own end-zone. Still, was a great, great season of College Football. Get into it for next year mate.

While the standard isn't as good as NFL, the atmosphere is better, and each week games are more important as for the contenders for the BCS Championship know one loss, and most likely their chances are gone.
Back to top Go down
Kvltism
Guru
Kvltism

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Lane Kiffin (and co) --> USC. Huuuuuuuuuge news.
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/LordKvlt
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 14, 2010 8:35 am

Ducks QB Masoli suspended for 2010 season

Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was suspended Friday for the upcoming season by coach Chip Kelly after pleading guilty to second-degree burglary in the theft of a pair of laptops and a guitar from a campus fraternity.

Masoli, who had been mentioned as a potential Heisman candidate, will remain on scholarship with the Ducks.

"He does have a redshirt season available to him if he chooses to do that," Kelly said.

Kelly announced the suspension just hours after Masoli appeared in Lane County Circuit Court to answer to the burglary charge.

Kelly, who has come under fire for some of his disciplinary decisions, also meted out punishment for running back LaMichael James and placekicker Rob Beard.

"I am extremely disappointed anytime any of our players fall short of our expectations that have been clearly outlined for them in advance on numerous occasions, and this is especially true regarding their roles within the community," Kelly said. "Their accountability for their actions is paramount and any tainting of the reputation of the University of Oregon and this football program will not be tolerated."

Masoli pleaded guilty as part of a deal that reduced his charge from a felony to a misdemeanor. Former Ducks receiver Garrett Embry pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of second-degree burglary as well.

Both were sentenced to 12 months of probation and 140 hours of community service. Together they must also pay $5,000 restitution.

Masoli threw for 2,147 yards and 15 touchdowns last season. He also rushed for 668 yards and 13 touchdowns, leading Oregon to the school's first Rose Bowl appearance since 1995.

Kelly's action was the latest twist to the Ducks' offseason of disarray.

Beard was placed on probation after entering his plea.

Linebacker Kiko Alonso pleaded not guilty to drunken driving charges in Eugene Municipal Court last week. Kelly suspended Alonso for the 2010 season upon learning of the arrest.

Defensive end Matt Simms was dismissed by Kelly after he was cited on assault charges last month. Simms pleaded guilty to physical harassment for striking a man he thought had beaten Beard.

Receiver Jamere Holland was dismissed from the team after posting vulgar comments and criticizing Kelly on the Facebook social networking site.

Kelly, who made his debut as a head coach last season, was questioned after he brought back running back LeGarrette Blount early from a season-long suspension.

Blount was suspended for punching a Boise State defensive end following the season-opening loss. He missed eight games before he was reinstated for meeting certain academic and behavioral criteria set down by Kelly.

University president Richard Lariviere issued a statement late Friday in support of Kelly's actions.

"I am confident that Coach Kelly has carefully and fairly considered the disciplinary actions he is imposing," Lariviere said. "I know that he understands the high expectations of Oregon's faculty, students and fans."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4990555

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely massive news this. Masoli suspended by Oregon coach Chip Kelly after Jeremiah originally denied all the accusations of the burglary, then pleaded guilty to it, so Chip punishing Jeremiah for straight up lying to his face.

I'm shattered not only for Jeremiah, but for 'Duck Nation' as after such a rocky start to the 2009 season with the loss to Boise State and the aftermath with LeGarrette Blout and now this, not great news at all.

Also, RB LaMichael James was also suspended for the season opener for harassment of his girlfriend.

The decision now is to choose between Senior Matt Costa and Sophomore Darren Thomas. To be honest, I don't really know much about Thomas but I have read he'll probably get the gig as starting-QB as he's just as talented as Masoli whereas Costa is the more experienced of the two.

Nevertheless, 2010 won't be the same without Jeremiah Masoli. Hopefully he's back better than ever for the 2011 season.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 3:43 am

haha here is one for you sparky!

Quote :
suspended Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was kicked off the team Wednesday, two days after a police officer cited him for marijuana possession and driving infractions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5268741
Back to top Go down
liam_bombers
Guru
liam_bombers

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:02 am

What a thug. Probably deserved it after fking up again after his first punishment.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:25 am

DB wrote:
haha here is one for you sparky!

Quote :
suspended Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli was kicked off the team Wednesday, two days after a police officer cited him for marijuana possession and driving infractions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5268741

Yeah absolutely shattered. Was my favorite player, and a guy that was just a fantastic sight to watch. Just a shame he's ended his Oregon career in this fashion. It's the right decision though, he's just done too much wrong to still be at the University of Oregon. Here's hoping he can get his life back on track and one day we'll see him in the NFL.
Back to top Go down
DB
Guru
DB

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:35 am

i think he has really blown any chances he had in the NFL. i think the best is he will be a late round draft pick. and probably be a back up for ages.

hopefully he can improve his ways, maybe find another school and get his life back on track
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 am

DB wrote:
i think he has really blown any chances he had in the NFL. i think the best is he will be a late round draft pick. and probably be a back up for ages.

hopefully he can improve his ways, maybe find another school and get his life back on track

There's no doubt he's got the talent to be drafted into the NFL. Obviously his off-field issues will be the problem. But if he can sort them out, and possibly play for another team in 2011 and led them to a conference championship game or a Bowl game, his stocks could rise once again. That's if he is allowed to join another University. Despite what I've read that he can, I'm still not too sure if that's accurate.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 pm

A lot would probably know of the whole USC drama.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5267933

Rumour is that:

The USC football program will receive a two-year postseason ban, a reduction in scholarships and a forfeiture of wins from at least the 2004 season when the NCAA releases its sanctions on Thursday, a source told ESPN's Shelley Smith.

This is a Melbourne Storm-like situation. A 2 year post-season ban is massive, kind of like Melbourne not playing for points, only individual honours, USC players are only playing for their future NFL careers with no possible bowls to work for.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 4:41 pm

I will have a huge response to the whole USC/Oregon issues tomorrow.

Plus PAC-10 expansion with Colorado already agreeing to move to the PAC-10 from the Big 12, with potentially Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A & M, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to come.

World Cup now though. See you all tomorrow!!
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 9:35 am

Well it's been an absolutely massive day in College Football. Certainly the biggest since I've followed the sport. It's all got to do with expansion. The Big 12 is almost no more, as Nebraska has accepted an invitation into the Big 10. Missouri or possibly even Notre Dame could follow.

This will then pave the way for Texas to then join Colorado in joining the PAC-10. IF Texas does this (which it most likely will) then Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will all follow suite. Texas A&M might also follow suite, not only pretty much meaning the end for the Big 12, but also the rise of a super conference in the PAC-10. What makes the PAC-10 such a lucrative conference to join is that the current TV rights package the PAC-10 teams have with FOX in the US ends at the end of the 2011-12 academic year, the new PAC-16 will be able to negotiate a new TV rights package, or better still, starting up it's own TV network and selling games to fans and making a hell of a lot of $$$ out of it. Simply put, it makes a tonne of sense for the incoming Big 12 teams, led by Texas whom as one ESPN expert put it, are the LeBron James free-agent in all of this, they're the team which EVERY conference wants. They're the best program in College.

The other massive news, and it's gone under the radar is that Boise State has left the WAC for the MWC. By doing this, they've joined the three powers in the MWC in BYU, TCU and Utah and made it a very powerful foursome. Plus of course, getting more $$$ into their programs. And for Boise State, and even better chance at climbing the rankings in the BCS.

Massive, massive day in College Football. Man I love this sport!!!
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:35 am

Wow, thats massive for the Pac-10. Imagine the amount of moeny they'll be able to roll in Texas and the rest to make the Pac-16. Now that USC have fallen, I would say Florida are the best program in the nation, then followed by Texas. After learning more about all of this I am definitely getting more into College Football this year. Any suggestions on teams. I was leaning towards USC a while back lol.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 11:46 am

Manning18 wrote:
Wow, thats massive for the Pac-10. Imagine the amount of moeny they'll be able to roll in Texas and the rest to make the Pac-16. Now that USC have fallen, I would say Florida are the best program in the nation, then followed by Texas. After learning more about all of this I am definitely getting more into College Football this year. Any suggestions on teams. I was leaning towards USC a while back lol.

Yeah the money will be HUGE for the PAC-10 soon to be PAC-16. Pretty much the main reason this is all happening.

Texas is overall the best College for sports, just over Florida and Oklahoma I'd say. They're all good at Football and Basketball, but Texas has a history in all the other sports as well, Tennis, Volleyball, Lacrosse etc.

As for a team to go for, USC will still be good, the problem they will have is not being able to recruit all the best young talent, only some of them instead. And some of the players have an option to leave for another College. But unless they're guaranteed a starting role, there's no point leaving. I'd maybe got for Boise State. Fantastic football program.

And definitely get into College Football, great fun. College Football Thread - Page 6 575896
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:11 pm

I've always been into it. Dad's a pretty big Boston College fan so I've watched plenty of games and followed how the top teams have been going. Will make a decision before the seaosn starts.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:25 pm

Manning18 wrote:
I've always been into it. Dad's a pretty big Boston College fan so I've watched plenty of games and followed how the top teams have been going. Will make a decision before the seaosn starts.

Plenty of time.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:44 pm

A move from Texas A&M to the SEC would be best from them so that they can find some advantage over Texas in recruitment. Giving one of the top talents in Texas the chance to play in the best conference in the nation. A move away from Texas will be the best choice for A&M.
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 12:56 pm

Manning18 wrote:
A move from Texas A&M to the SEC would be best from them so that they can find some advantage over Texas in recruitment. Giving one of the top talents in Texas the chance to play in the best conference in the nation. A move away from Texas will be the best choice for A&M.

If that's what they want. They're not an elite program like Texas is anyway, they live in the shadows of Texas Tech as well. Even if they move to the SEC, they're going to struggle against teams like Florida, Alabama, LSU and the like in terms of recruiting and performance.
Back to top Go down
Manning18
Guru
Manning18

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:17 pm

Looks like the Pac-16 won't be happening. Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State staying in the Big 12.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061510dnsporealignment.1dbf239.html
Back to top Go down
Sparky_Hughes
Sparky_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 am

Manning18 wrote:
Looks like the Pac-16 won't be happening. Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State staying in the Big 12.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/061510dnsporealignment.1dbf239.html

Yup, it all depended on Texas, as they've decided to stay unfortunately. Of course the other followed as well, Texas are the big fish in the Big 12. As for the PAC-10, they've pulled Colorado already, now they're gunning for Utah but with Boise State just joining the MWC, I can't see the Utes jumping ship.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: College Football Thread   College Football Thread - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

College Football Thread
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: US Sports-
Jump to:  
Forumotion's free forums | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com