Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  GamesGames  Log in  

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Empty
PostSubject: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 4:27 am

Only 4 weeks to go till the finals of the Air New Zealand cup and there are atleast 8 teams that I think still have a realistic shot of making the top 4.

This years final series only includes the top 4 teams, not the top 8 like previous seasons.

Here is a run down of who the teams have left to play and what I position I predict they will finish in.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals CanterburyColours Canterbury - Top of the table Canterbury will meet the Steelers next week where they should pick up the 5 point win. Then they put their shield on the line against the Turbos, but once again should prove too strong and another possible 5 pointer will be up for grabs. Week after is their toughest remaining match, when they meet the Magpies in Napier, this clash could go either way but I reckon (am hoping Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_biggrin ) the Magpies will get up. Canterbury then finish off the rounds with another possible shield defence against Southland, should be a close one but Canterbury should get up. 3 wins from 4 will be enough to see Canterbury earn a home semi and finish in 1st Position

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Southland Southland - The Stags currently sit in 2nd place but were taken to school by the Wellington Lions in the capital last round. Next round they will meet Auckland in Auckland. This should be a close game, but Auckland may have some ABs back and I reckon will beat the Stags. They then head home to meet Tasman, the in-form Makos wont be no easy beats but Southland with home advantage should have what it takes to get the win here. Southland have thier final home fixture of the rounds against Taranaki in which they should win. They then as mentioned before, meet Canterbury for the shield, great game to finish the rounds, but Southland should get beaten. A tough run home and a couple of wins should see the Stags scrape into the finals finishing in 4th Position

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals HB Hawkes Bay - finding some great form in recent weeks, the Magpies look like finishing in the top 4 once again. Nexts weeks game is The Battle of The Bays, where the Magpies head north to Rotorua to meet the BOP Steamers. 3rd and 4th on the table at present, both will be very eager for the win. Bay of Plenty have been unbeatable at home this season but after their last weeks second half, the wheels may have fallen off. I predict the Magpies will get up in this one, but it will be very close. A 5 pointer will definitely be on the cards the following week when Counties come to Napier. The following week its the other red and blacks Canterbury who head to town, will be another tough match but at home Magpies will be too strong. The Bay then finish the rounds with up North, with a battle againt the Taniwha, should be a win here. Two close wins and two big wins should see the Magpies finish in 2nd Position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Bopcolours Bay of Plenty - The Steamers currently sit at 4th position after an extremely poor second half against Otago last round. As mentioned above they meet the real Bay next round, guarnateed close game but Hawkes Bay are my tip to win it. They should bounce back the following week away against North Harbour. Round 12, they will meet the giant killing Turbos in Palmy, will be the BOP second game on the road, and I think we could be in for an upset, Turbos to get the win in this one. They finish the rounds back at bay park where they meet the Naki, should be a close game but BOP should get up. A disappointing couple of results will see BOP just miss out finishing in 5th Position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Makos Tasman - The Makos are coming off thier first win over Auckland and have exceeded most peoples expectations so far this season. The 5th placed side will meet Northland at Okara Park next round and should get the win here, although I don't think they'll manage a bonus point. Following round they head down to Southland where the Stags should get up. Then they head to Carisbrook to meet Otago, should be a close game, but Otago will be the one I'll be tipping for this clash. Final fixture, they meet Wellington at home. Lions will take down the Makos, and that will be it for Season '09 for Tasman. A tough run home will see the Makos season finish in 8th position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Lions Wellington - The Lions are back! Some poor form midseason from the Lions has seen then caught up in the middle of the table. But as proven in their win over Southland, we cant write them off just yet. With their All Blacks back Wellington should be far too strong for the Turbos next round and win with a bous point. The following week they meet the Taniwha away, but once again a 5 pointer is definitley on the cards. Round 12, they are back home against North Harbour, and should get the another 5 point win. Final fixture of the round for them is against the Makos, where they will continue on their winning ways. A great run home for the Lions should see them finish in 3rd position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Akl Auckland - The Jafas wont be too impressed by their sides performance so far this season. They will meet the Stags next week, where I reckon with the ABs back, they should pick up the win. Following week they meet Taranaki at Yarrow Stadium, this will be a tight match but I think Taranaki will have what it takes to beat the Aucklanders. At home against Counties the following round should see Auckland pick up a 5 pointer. Final round they head to Waikato, the Mooloo men will be too strong and beat them. Another year with no sides in the Blues franchise making the finals, Auckland will finish in 7th position

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Mooloo Waikato - Waikato, who currently sit in 8th position will meet North Harbour next round, should be a 5 point win for them. Following week they face off with Otago down South, this will be no easy game for either side, but I reckon Otago should get the win. Northland is their next opponent, and they should be too strong, potential 5 pointer here. Final week they face Auckland at home and should get the win. 3 out of 4 wins should see Waikato finish in 6th Position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Naki Taranaki - The Naki has had and up and down season and currently sit in 9th position. Next round they meet Otago, following week Auckland, both are home games which I expect them to win narrowly. Round 12 they are away against Southland, Stags to win. Then they finish off on the road again against Bay of Plenty, where the BOP should get the win. A mixed season will come to an end with Taranaki finishing in 10th Position

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Otagorugby Otago - Otago were impressive last weekend against Bay of Plenty, but are too far out of it now to be a real contender for a top 4 spot. Away against the Naki next week, should see them lose another. They then have 3 games in a row at home and we can expect them to win them all. Firstly Waikato, then Tasman, then Counties Manakau. Despite 3 from 4 wins, Otago will finish in 9th position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Turbos Manawatu - An awesome start to the season saw the Turbos in the top 4 in week 5. However, 5 losses in a row has seen the Turbos slip right down to 11th position. They are in for hiding next round against the Lions at the Cake Tin, and potentially will get destroyed the following week in the shield match against Canterbury. The last two game for the Turbos are at home firstly Bay of Plenty then North Harbour. They could upset the Steamers, and then beat Harbour. 2 wins and 2 losses will see the Turbos finish in 11th Position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Harbour North Harbour - Another dissapointing season for North Harbour. They meet Waikato away next week, where they should get done. Following week they take on the BOP at home, should suffer yet another loss. On the road for the final two games, firstly Wellington then Manawatu, 2 losses should be to go. North Harbours disappointing season will come to an end, with them finishing in 12th Position

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals NLTaniwha Northland - If the new format for provincial rugby comes in next season, Northland can say Goodbye to top division rugby. They have had another poor season. They meet Tasman followed by Wellington at home next two rounds, and I'm predicting them to lose both. Following those games, in Round 12 they head to Waikato, where they should be in for a hiding. Finish at home against the Magpies, another loss should be the go in this one. Northlands poor season will come to an end with them finishing in 13th Position.

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals CountiesAirNZ Counties Manakau - The Steelers will be battling it out with Northland in division one next year. The easy beats of the Air New Zealand Cup have only managed 2 wins so far this season, and I cant see them winning another. They meet Canterbury at home, then are away against Auckland, Hawkes Bay and Otago. Wooden spoon for Couties in '09 they will finish in 14th position.

My Predicted Table

1. Canterbury
2. Hawkes Bay
3. Wellington
4. Southland

5. Bay of Plenty
6. Waikato
7. Auckland
8. Tasman
9. Otago
10. Taranaki
11. Manawatu
12. North Harbour
13. Northland
14. Counties Manakau

ofcourse there may be a bit of bias towards my team, but nobody is gonna tip against their own side.

"There's nothing finer than having a Vagina"
Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:28 am

Wow - pretty solid work there Hendo - will this be a genuine "you heard it here first" scenario?
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:29 am

haha most definitely. What do you think of the predictions?

Back to top Go down
Pantherus
Guru
Pantherus

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:47 am

Looks about right I think - but if there's one thing this season (Super 14 included) has shown, its that you make predictions with a degree of skepticism since there have been an unprecedented amount of upsets.
Back to top Go down
http://picasaweb.google.com/kglensor/HopeGlensor
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 5:50 am

definitely, it is impossible competition to predict accuratley. My tipping been pretty good this year though Very Happy

Back to top Go down
samthaman15
Guru
samthaman15

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 7:58 am

IMO

1. Canterbury
2. Wellington
3. Hawkes Bay
4. Bay of Plenty
Back to top Go down
Ruggerhead
Veteran
Ruggerhead

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 4:59 am

Hey Hendo we will beat Canterbury and take the shield next week.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 5:02 am

Ruggerhead wrote:
Hey Hendo we will beat Canterbury and take the shield next week.

I hope you're right Ruggerhead. But also hope if you do get it, you don't lose it to those scumbags Bay of Plenty!

Back to top Go down
Rozza
Guru
Rozza

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:20 pm

My Predicted Table

1. Canterbury
2. Hawkes Bay
3. Bay of Plenty
4. Wellington
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:34 pm

So my predictions were pretty much all correct in the last round, just some bonus points were scored and not scored that I didn't predict.

I'm still standing by my top of Canterbury, Hawkes Bay, Wellington and Southland, but there is still 4 other sides in with a chance I reckon, that being Waikato, Auckland, Tasman and Bay of Plenty.

This really has been an epic competition so far!

Back to top Go down
kiwikid33
Guru
kiwikid33

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Yeah this year has been pretty good and I would say your top 4 is about right now although i wouldnt be surprised if Auckland or Waikato snuck into that 4th place but that top 3 looks solid.

And lol at ruggerhead Manawatu have no chance against Canterbury if they couldnt get close to wellington.
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:04 am

Can bet it will end up something like this

1. Canterbury

2. Hawkes Bay/Wellington
3. Hawkes Bay/Wellington

4. Southland/Waikato/Bay of Plenty

I really don't think Auckland will get in there, I reckon Naki and Waikato will be too good with home advantage on thier side. Tasman I also cant see getting in there as they really cant afford to lose another game and have to meet Wellington in the capital.

Bad luck for Manawatu, Canterbury will be using Carter, McCaw and Thorn for the shield clash, and then they will be in the Canterbury side that takes on Hawkes Bay the following week as well.

Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 3:10 am

Well a couple of games didn't go as I predicted. First being Taranaki V Auckland, 2nd being Harbour V Bay of Plenty.

That changes things a little as now Bay of Plenty are pretty much no chance, and Auckland have a decent chance, so...

1. Canterbury

2. Hawkes Bay/Wellington
3. Hawkes Bay/Wellington

4. Southland/Waikato/Auckland

A lot to play for in the final two weeks and I am nervous!! haha.

Canterbury play Hawkes Bay then Southland.
Hawkes Bay play Canterbury then Northland
Wellington play North Harbour then Tasman
Southland play Taranaki then Canterbury
Waikato play Northland then Auckland
Auckland play Counties then Waikato.

So of the teams left in with a shot at the finals except Wellington meet another side who has a shot in the finals.

Canterbury will be favourites to win both thier matches, but both could go either way. They are away against Hawkes Bay (who are in form) and then host Southland but will be without their All Blacks, and its a shield game, anything can happen. But even if they lose both matches they will still be in the finals. They are the only guaranteed team.

Hawkes Bay will go in as underdogs to Canterbury but strong favourites over Northland. If the Bay manage to get atleast 5 points from the two games (a win and a bonus point) it should be enough to get them in the finals. Win them both and they are guaranteed a home semi final. Lose them both (I fukn hope not) season over.

Wellington probably have the better run home. Should be too strong over Northland today then should beat North Harbour next week. There main concern will be meeting Tasman at Landsdowne Park in the final week. Lose this then it could give Southland and Waikato/Auckland to overtake them.

Southland should beat Taranaki but aren't likely to beat Canterbury. Not just the shield will be relying on that final clash but probably a spot in the top 4 as well. No pressure Stags haha.

Both Auckland and Waikato have a relatively easy match ahead of them next week, but they meet in the final round and there should be a top 4 spot on the line in this one, if Southland fail to beat Canterbury. Good news is that the Stags clash is on the Thursday night so both teams will know how important this final battle will be.

Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 3:52 am

So still 6 teams in the running for a top 4 spot.

Canterbury are the only guaranteed side, and they are also guarnateed a home final.

This week we have some epic battles. 4 of the teams left in with a chance must face each other.

Here's what could happen:

Canterbury V Southland (shield game) - Southland really need the win here, if they fail to win it, their top 4 hopes are almost gone. They will be relying on Hawkes Bay to lose to Northland (not going to happen Very Happy ) Canterbury lose they will still remain on the top of the table, but considering its a shield match expect them to bring their 'A' game. Southland though, have a decent chance as the Cantabs have lost a lot through All Black selections.

Hawkes Bay go on the road up North to Okara Park, the Southland Canterbury result will really tell Hawkes Bay what they need to do to make the top 4. If Southland lose a win will be good enough, if Southland win, a bonus point win is a almost a must if they are to make the 4.

If Waikato manage a win over Auckland and get a bonus point they will finish on top of Hawkes Bay, but if they fail to get a bonus point and Hawkes Bay manage to get one, the Bay will finish on top of them. Aucklands only chance of getting in is if they win against Waikato and either Southland or Hawkes Bay lose.

If both Southland and Hawkes Bay win, Wellington will need to win as well. If they don't win and the other two do, they will be relying on Auckland to beat Waikato without scoring a bonus point. If Wellington do manage to beat Tasman, they will seal a home semi final.

Hope this gives you an idea of what needs to happen for each side to make the 4.

Here is my prediction:

1. Canterbury 50 (will beat Southland and get 4 comp points)
2. Wellington 43 (will beat Tasman and get 4 comp points)
3. Hawkes Bay 41 (will beat Northland and get 5 comp points)
4. Waikato 40 (will beat Auckland and get 4 comp points)

5. Southland 38 (will lose to Canterbury but get 1 comp point)
6. Auckland 36 (will lose to Waikato but get 1 comp point)

feel free to ask any question!

Back to top Go down
Mikeyboy
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 4:36 am

C'mon the Bay,
Magpies, so unlucky on Thurs night, with the AB's gone Southland to win this week again, what would happen then ?
Back to top Go down
CM_STEELERS
Professional
CM_STEELERS

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 4:57 am

i reckon wellington will take it this year

steelers look good for the future tho
Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:04 am

Mikeyboy wrote:
C'mon the Bay,
Magpies, so unlucky on Thurs night, with the AB's gone Southland to win this week again, what would happen then ?

Well if Southland win, Magpies definitely need to beat Northland. If Waikato get a win over Auckland, the Magpies will need a bonus point, if Waikto get a bonus point win over Auckland and Southland and Wellingon both have wins, Magpies season is over.

Back to top Go down
Hendo Maroon
Hendo Maroon

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:05 am

CM_STEELERS wrote:
i reckon wellington will take it this year

steelers look good for the future tho

Looking good in division one!

Back to top Go down
Mikeyboy
Trainee

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 3:48 am

Well "The Stags" pulled it off and good luck to them, so now HB gotta beat Northland to stay in the race
Go the Bay !!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals   Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air New Zealand Cup: Road To The Finals
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Sports Discussions :: Rugby-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com